Friday, October 26, 2007

Plane Geometry

Let's give ourselves a simple problem. We have two lines on a plane and they never intersect. Are they parallel?

I'm not looking for a solution but here is my quandry. We first make the assumption that they are on a plane. The Plane is made up of parallel lines. How do we know that? In other words, isn't it a circular problem. Don't you have to have lines that are "nowhere" first. Prove the original problem and then use that to construct a plane, and then have problems that refer to a plane?

Because if I make the assumption I'm on a plane, I'm already making assumptions about lines.

Am I making any sense or have I just not drunk enough coffee yet?

(Note: I am not a geometer, don't play one on TV and did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)