Sunday, November 2, 2008

Seasons Survey

The other day, I was thinking about how wonderful autumn was as it is my favorite season; and how glad I was that summer, my least favorite season, had finally ended. Then I began to wonder how many people were influenced in choosing their favorite season based on the conclusion of their least favorite season – a type of “Ah ha” feeling of relief. I began to ask people – friends, family, people at my veterinarian, a class of students at UVA, my hairdresser, etc. It appears that my initial thought might be correct. The sample size for the survey was far too small to be statistically valid, but, none the less, it is interesting. Following are the results of this very small survey.

Results:

Based on the repeating sequence of four seasons, the normal statistical occurrence of favorite and least favorite occurring adjacent to each other would occur about 50% of the time. Of this 50%, half would have the least favorite preceding the favorite with an overall result of 25% of the time. The chart below shows what would be expected if no influence occurred between the choice of favorite and least favorite seasons; i.e. they were random in occurrence.

Favorite and least favorite not adjacent -- 50%
Favorite preceding least favorite -- 25%
Least favorite preceding favorite -- 25%

The results gathered from the survey varied greatly from what would be expected based on typical random choices as listed above. The survey results are below.

Least favorite preceding favorite -- 57%
Favorite preceding least favorite -- 16.5%
Favorite and least favorite not adjacent (exclusively summer/winter) -- 16.5%
Not familiar with four seasons -- 10%

Definitely, the occurrence of the least favorite season prior to the favorite season must have some significance. Whether the influence is the “Thank goodness that season has finally ended!” effect would have to be determined from an additional survey; but the results of my brief and small survey results are clear. Many people’s favorite season follows their least favorite one. It is definitely true with me.