Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Some Day I Will Be Free

From early childhood I knew that I was different. I could solve puzzles and do math problems that my siblings who were five and six years older could not do. I was meant to do something amazing in this world; something that would make a difference. Yet, I was told by my mother that the only reason I had to go to college was so I could marry well. She thought it was a good reason to go to college. She was wrong; there are better reasons than that for women to get educated.

Some day I will be free of the bonds I have placed on myself due to other people's limited sight of what I could be. I will leave everyone behind so I can travel the road I was truly destined to follow, the road that people have worked so hard at preventing me from going down. I will travel it fearlessly knocking all obstacles out of the way. It is my destiny and I have known that my entire life. I did not begin doing math at the age of four for no reason, or just so I could be a housewife and mother. No! I can be more and I will be more. I will make a difference and not through my children or my husband. I will make it on my own, by myself. I will be strong. I, yes I, can make a difference.